From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 08:09:20 -0500
Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: map collections in open stacks question
Date:   Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:55:47 -0500
From:   Coombs, James <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi John,

We moved from being a collection within the Govt Docs department in a
separate room to a full wide-open pubic access collection about 5 years
ago.

Like you, I feared it would be a disaster, but it has turned out to be
an improvement.  The collection is much more visible to patrons, and is
used more. The only challenge that confronted us was moving the
collections and having them arrive intact. Collection management,
thefts, conservation/preservation concerns/issues, and re-shelving are
no different than they were when we were isolated.

Jim Coombs
Map Librarian
Duane G Meyer Library
Missouri State University