From:
BARBARA COX <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 1995 12:51:37 EDT
    With the permission of my colleague, Debbie Lords, I am
forwarding her private reply to a posting in GOVDOCS-L.  I thought
many of librarians would be interested in our (nearly complete)
conversion project.
    Barbara Cox       University of Utah   Salt Lake City, Utah USA
- - - - - - - Forwarded Message Follows - - - - - -
 -
    :           "Debbie Lords" <EDU-UTAH-LIB-ALEXANDRIA/DLORDS>
            :   U of U Marriott Library Staff Net
  :             [log in to unmask], grasmuss, krockwel, dlords, bcox, "MAXINE H
   AGGERTY" <EDU-UTAH-LIB-ALEXANDRIA/MHAGGERT>
        t:      Wed, 31 May 1995 10:09:47 MDT
      t:        Re: maps cataloging
            o:  [log in to unmask]

I did a timing study of retrospective conversion of the standard map
collection for Marriott Library, University of Utah about 4 years
ago.  Although the study specifically excluded the 7.5 minute map
series, it did include the other cataloged maps.  This means
everything but the CIA and Census maps and maybe one other agency,
but includes all of  Interior.  It included some Forestry maps and
excluded others.

WORD of WARNING:  In most cost studies, the time of actual conversion
is usually all that is considered.  My experience with 3 retro
projects is that, depending on the "dirtiness" of the collection's
records in the first place, converters spend only 50%-75% of their
time actually doing the converting.  The remainder is spent cleaning
up errors, replacing materials, filing things, reading work-related
materials.  Also there is the fact these are people who will take
breaks, attend meetings, socialize to some degree with co-workers.
In short, they are not automatons.  In most published figures, this
fact is NOT reported as part of the conversion rate, but is an
important factor in the full cost of conversion when you are
figuring staff costs.

I found the following timings applied:
Average conversion of a map title on the NOTIS system took about 25
minutes per title.  This time included creation of a bibliographic
record, holdings information (call number, number of copies),
circulation information (bar label number, vol number) and serial
information (volume runs for each copy).  The per title timing did
not include the 50-75% factor described above.

The number of pieces per title ranged from 1 to 300+.
Timing was based on piece in hand.  The study also showed that, to
have a complete record for our system needs, 40% of the collection
would require piece-in-hand processing so it was easier to do all
that way rather than pull those needing pulling.

The hardest thing about using other folks' numbers, is you need to
know all of their processes and to what level they converted.  May I
suggest that although the length of time seems high, don't be
betrayed by a sense that "quick and dirty" will work.  It only works
for administrators, yet causes repeated grief to those who have to
use the records later.

Good luck in your efforts.  I know a book was written specifically
about Maps Retrospective Conversion, but I don't know the title.  You
might check with Maps-L(I don't remember their address).

Debbie Lords
Marriott Library
Unversity of Utah
> Date sent:      Thu, 25 May 1995 11:50:45 -0800
> Send reply to:  Discussion of Government Document Issues <[log in to unmask]
   DU>
> From:           Aimee <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:        maps cataloging
> To:             Multiple recipients of list GOVDOC-L <[log in to unmask]>
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Please forgive the cross-posting, but I need this info. asap.  Has anyone
> completed a cost analysis of restrospectively cataloging or farming out all
> depository maps?  What I am trying to findout is the cost per map.  If you hav
> any info., please let me know directly and I will summarize for the list.
>
> Thank you,
>

> Aimee Piscitelli
> Documents Librarian
> Eastern Washington University
> MS 84, 916 F Street
> Cheney, WA  99004
> (509) 359-4821
> fax: 509/359-6456

Barbara Cox
Science and Engineering Division, 159 Marriott Library
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah USA 84112
(801)581-7533      fax (801)585-3464