From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:10:03 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L
Subject: Maps in Current Newspapers
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005
From: Bob Kibbee <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

All,

I'm interested in what policies you all have in place for acquiring maps in
current newspapers. We will usually clip and add maps that have possible
historical or reference value from local newspapers, but I'm wondering
about, e.g. maps from the NYTimes. Do we just assume that the maps produced
there are being archived somewhere by the NYT itself and will be available
for  researchers, at least subscribing researchers? (Library subscriptions
through aggregators such as Factiva and Lexis Academic don't include
graphics.) Is there a need / obligation to make them discoverable and
available in a cataloged map collection? Are there legal constraints on
adding the paper clipping, a photocopy of it, a scan of it, a print from
the graphic from the NYTimes site itself?

Take a feature article from October 10th, "As Polar Ice Turns to Water,
Dreams of Treasure Abound," which features three dramatic maps of the
arctic. These maps would seem to be useful to any program working with
arctic regions. Can these maps be added to our collection; should they be?

This may be a more pressing issue now that journalistic cartography seems
to be exploding in volume and sophistication.

                                            Bob

Bob Kibbee
Map & GIS Librarian
Instruction, Research & Information Services (IRIS)
017 Olin Library, Cornell University
Ithaca,  New York    14853-5301
voice 607-255-9566 / fax 607-255-9346