Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:27:23 -0500
Subject:        Sharing Satellite Imagery - Compiled and Revisited
Date:   Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:56:14 -0400
From:   Carol McAuliffe <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Dear MAPS-L,

First of all, thank you for the thoughtful responses and my apologies
for not compiling this sooner! I asked the question during a very busy
time and didn’t get a chance to get back to it until now (of course,
this seems to be a very busy time as well!).

I hope that more conversation will occur on this topic because I think
there is potential for a lot of cooperative resource sharing to occur in
the area of uncopyrighted satellite imagery. We recently got a request
from an EPA librarian because a researcher needed some Landsat images
that we owned. Due to the fact that they weren’t copyrighted we were
easily able to send her copies of the CDs. This brought to mind an idea
to have some sort of database of sharable satellite images which
libraries own. We catalog our images but I’m not sure how common that is
at this time. This means a lot of what libraries have in the way of
satellite imagery isn’t widely known. I think there is a lot more to
discuss on this topic but as I am preparing to leave for ALA (as I’m
sure many of you are!) I think I will leave it at that for now.

The following is what I received from the readers of Maps-L and since a
few mentioned sites that have free imagery I want to share with everyone
a site that we have found to be very useful here at the University of
Florida. https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/ It only covers bands 7, 4, and
2 but it has world-wide coverage for 1990 and 2000 which has been very
useful for some of our researchers who don’t need the full range of bands.

Looking forward to meeting many of you at ALA in the coming days!!

Sincerely,

Carol McAuliffe

*Carol McAuliffe***,** Map Librarian
Map and Imagery Library, Spatial Information Services Unit
Government Documents Department
George A. Smathers Libraries
University of Florida
(352) 273-2828

**************************BEGINNING OF RESPONSES****************************

*From Mary Laarsgard:*

My attitude is that any uncopyrighted satellite imagery can indeed be
shared as per your comment below.

Mary

*From Matt Fox:*

You might check this out.

http://geocarta.blogspot.com/2007/03/non-profit-formed-to-give-away.html

Matt

*From Jeff Essic:*

Two sites come to mind where satellite data is already being shared:

Global Land Cover Facility and glovis.usgs.gov.

See the first several links in the overview at
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/gis/landsat7.html.

Jeff Essic

**************END OF RESPONSES****************BELOW IS ORIGINAL EMAIL
ABOUT Sharing Satellite Imagery******************