From:
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:44:06 -0500
Subject: Re: two confusing LCGFT headings
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 14:35:46 -0400
From: Marc McGee <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello Mark and all,

I agree with Mark that the term "Geodatases," in common use, predominantly
refers to the ESRI format.  However, I am not advocating that the genre/form
heading necessarily be retained to refer to databases of geospatial
information.  I was trying to highlight the fact that the way the current LC
Authority genre/form record exists, it includes definitions beyond the scope
of ESRI Geodatabases.

(for those without OCLC authority file access, search "geodatabases" as
subject here:  http://authorities.loc.gov/ to see what catalogers are
working with… )

While the LC Authority record for "Geodatabases" does include references to
definitions for the ESRI file format, it also includes the reference:

"geodatabases explored (A geodatabase is a database that is in some way
referenced to locations on the earth. Coupled with this data is usually data
known as attribute data. Attribute data generally defined as additional
information, which can then be tied to spatial data. Geodatabases are
grouped into two different types: vector and raster. Most GIS software
applications mainly focus on the usage and manipulation of vector
geodatabases with added components to work with raster-based geodatabases.)
"

We could probably argue the validity of this reference, but the fact of the
matter is, the way the current authority record is written, there is room
for interpretation as to how to apply the genre/form.

The authority record also includes cross references for the terms: Digital
geographical databases, Geographic information databases, GIS databases
etc.  etc.  which go beyond the scope of ESRI Geodatabases.

Furthermore, genre/term headings for: shapefiles, geotiffs, and ESRI Grid
files do not exist, therefore it wouldn't fit that a genre/form heading
specific to the ESRI Geodatabase format exist.  Genre/form headings aren't
applied for specific file formats (e.g. no headings exist for: pdf, Word
docs, tiff, mp3, etc.).   But our users don't know this…  so, yes,
"Geodatabases" is confusing.

Unfortunately, there are no scope notes provided in the authority record
guiding the cataloger/user of the genre/form as to the term's intended use.

I think Mark's comments speaks volumes that using "Geodatabases" as
genre/form heading is confusing for our GIS patron community (no less
professional GIS Librarian community).  The Authority record was established
in 2004; ESRI introduced Geodatabases (from what I can tell) in early 2000,
so my guess is the term didn't carry with it the same currency then, as it
does now….  It's probably time for the heading to be reviewed.

Marc