From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:17:21 -0400
Subject: Volunteer to organize a small social event at the Toronto
conference June 20-24
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:42:26 -0400
From: Lorre Smith <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Toronto ALA/CLA conference attendees:

The American Library Association (ALA) Maps and Geography Round Table
(MAGERT) Membership Committee is planning to hold a few get-togethers
for
Map Librarians (and fellow travelers) during the conference in Toronto
this
coming summer.

We'd like to hold  a few casual events in Toronto restaurants or cafes
allow librarians with specializations in maps and geospatial data to sit
and
eat or drink and get to know one another.  Our scheme at this time is to
have one Canadian and one U.S. librarian work together plan each single
event, and to have a total of perhaps three events.

We will probably have a range of breakfast, lunch, dinner, coffee or
cocktails to offer so that interested librarians can get to at least one
event and still attend conference programs and meetings. Each event will
probably be small, and they'll be spread over the days of the
conference.
We are hoping that librarians in the Toronto area will step forward to
help
in the planning and/or suggest local establishments.

We will list the events and the contact information for organizers on
the
MAGERT web page before the conference so that those who are interested
in
attending can get in touch with the organizers, and arrangements can be
made
at the specific restaurant or cafe to accommodate the number attending.

If you would like to be an organizer for such an event, please contact
me.
If you know Toronto and you'd recommend a great place for librarians to
gather and get to know one another over food and drink, send us the name
and
contact information.

We're all looking forward to a very enjoyable and educational experience
in
Toronto - check the MAGERT web site to see how the plans are shaping up
as
the conference draws near.  http://magert.whoi.edu:8000/

I hope we'll have many opportunities to begin and develop lasting
relationships at the conference!

Lorre Smith
MAGERT Membership Chair