From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanne M. Perry
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:24:11 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:16:31 -0500
From: "Joanne M. Perry" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Trying to identify old map and holding collection
Sender: "Joanne M. Perry" <[log in to unmask]>

Here's a puzzle for you lovers of antique maps and rare maps collections...
a faculty member has a photocopy of part of a map and would like to locate
the original map. The photocopy was given to him by a deceased colleague.

The photocopy appears to be from a microfilm -- in the lower left hand
corner it has the number 70.
The modern handwritten notation at the top of the photocopy is:  G. Delisle
c 1700 (DCM 1780.1.28; Port. 75, Piece 206

The area of the map is from just north of Lake Huron to the southern border
of Pennsylvania, from the western shore of Lake Huron east to Toronto; no
doubt this represents just part of the original map, which probably extends
further east

I've looked a some of the L'isle maps on the Rumsey site and I've checked
some of my reprint books here -- but I wonder if the real clue isn't the
notation form? Anyone familiar with this notation? Got any good ideas to
pass on?

Thanks,
Joanne Perry
Maps Librarian