From:
Janet Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1993 11:20:35 EST
Earthquake preparedness

Recently I learned that my University is initiating work in the Map
Library for earthquake preparedness.  We have discussed a number of
items but I am particularly concerned about the map cases.

The map cases will have the following changes made.  1)  a short
bar will be attached to the left side of each 5-drawer unit to keep
the drawers from opening in an earthquake - the bar will slide
upward at a 45 degree angle for access.  2)  each 5-drawer unit
will be connected within a stack on the inside four corners of each
unit  3)  each cap and base will be connected to the 5-drawer stack
4)  each 5-drawer stack will be independent and not attached to
adjacent stacks.

We are still discussing whether each stack of 5-drawer units should
be bolted to the floor.  The negative side to bolting seems to be
1)  eliminates flexibility in moving collections 2)  would trash
new carpet installed only one year ago.

I have several questions and would appreciate any input.

What kind of earthquake preparedness has been done in your map
collection?

Do you have an opinion about whether the 5-drawer units should be
bolted to the floor?

Any words of wisdom?

Thanking you in advance,

Janet Collins, Map Librarian