From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:10:00 -0400
Subject: Maps in remote storage?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:47:38 -0400
From: Susan Greaves <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello Maps-L,

The ground isn't broken yet but plans are getting underway for another
offsite storage facility at Cornell and this time oversize materials -
maps
in particular, I hope - will be candidates for transferral.  I would
welcome hearing from those who have had experience working with parts of
your map collection stored remotely.

How are maps stored offsite? Flat map cases? Vertical files? Industrial
shelving? Boxes? Folders?

How are maps packaged for transferral between offsite storage and onsite
map room?  Have you constructed any special boxes or ...?

Do staff at the remote facility select individual maps to send back to
the
user or do entire sets get picked and sent back to the central map room?

When you started to select maps to move offsite, did you think in terms
of
percentage of the entire collection?  Storage area available?  Obvious
groups of maps?

Over all, how is offsite storage  working for you?

That's enough!  If people respond to me personally, I will gladly
summarize
for the list.  Many thanks for your input.

Susan Greaves
Map Librarian
Instruction, Research & Information Services
017 Olin Library, Cornell University
Ithaca,  New York    14853-5301
voice 607-255-9566 / fax 607-255-9346