From:
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 17:18:06 EDT
3 messages.--------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 09:21:33 -0700
>From: [log in to unmask] (Paul R. Larson)
>Subject: Re: Maps with books

>As for my 2 cents worth--
>        DON'T SEPARATE THE MAPS FROM THE BOOKS.
>        A pocket map is typically central to the value of the whole
>report, and it's crazy to split the whole report apart.
>
>        Connie Manson

Having attended schools where both systems were used, one (BYU) that left
the maps in the pockets and the other (University of Utah) where they
stored them separately, I definitely vote for the second.  The maps were
always right where they were supposed to be, and they were in relatively
good condition, neither of which is guaranteed if the map is left in the
book's pocket.  Oh, I know it is an inconvenience to have to go somewhere
else for the map, but it beats the alternative of not finding it at all.  I
agree with Connie's statement, but it does not always work.

Oh, and in spite of this little quirk, I still wear blue to football games.

Paul R. Larson

_________________________________
Paul R. Larson. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Geography
Physical Science Department
Southern Utah University
Cedar City, Utah 84720

tel: (801) 865-8244
fax: (801) 865-8051
E-mail [log in to unmask]
__________________________________

>Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 16:04:36 -0400 (EDT)
>From: william j thornton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Maps with books

I think it is better to seperate the map from the book and preserve it
for future generations than it is to leave it in the book to have it
disappear.  At the U of Mich. we remove loose maps from the Graduate
Library, stamp the book saying the map is in the Map Library, and house
the maps in vertical files.

>Date: 14 May 96 14:29:12 EDT
>From: "Russell E. Guy" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: books with maps;

As a frequent user of books with maps (field guides, etc.), I prefer to have the
accompanying maps filed in flat-file cases.  In my experience maps folded in the
backs of books tend to fall apart alot faster, maps become illegible around the
creases, etc.  The drawback is that you have to look in two places for the map
and book, and sometimes maps get lost.  Still, having a legible flat map sure
beats a beat up one in the back pocket.

Russell Guy
OMNI Resources