Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:12:31 -0500
Subject:        Re: Needed: topo map index showing underlying quads for 15'
sheets
Date:   Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:55:56 -0500
From:   Chieko Maene <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Paige -

We have the historic PA 15-minute topo quad indexes in the geodatabase
format (.mdb, ArcGIS readable). I haven't checked the paper 15' index
map yet to see if the information is accurate or not, but if you don't
mind about the accuracy, here is a link to download the file (PA 15' only) -
http://maps.lib.uic.edu/GEODEX_USGS_TOPO.zip

The data was derived from GEODEX with assistance from Dr. Chris Baruth
of the AGS Library (creator of GEODEX.) I also wanted to index all
15-minute topo sheets electronically and had to generate digital index
files somehow, like other USGS topo map indexes (24k, 100K, 250K.)
GEODEX database works perfect (almost) for the purpose because it comes
with map extent coordinates of individual map sheets. Tom (digital
spatial data librarian, AGSL) and I wanted to work on the GEODEX
conversion project but we haven't had a chance to work together yet.
Currently I am just trying to convert 15' topo map indexes for all the
states. Oh, I also have various digital index files, AMS 250K map
series, JOG (250K), Canadian topo map indexes (50K, 250K, 500K), etc.
all derived from GEODEX.

The problem is, though, somebody has to do a lot of clean up work (my
case is our excellent map student, Alanah Ryding) in order to turn the
GEODEX database into logical GIS files, and we don't time to finish the
project right now. When we are done with the project, I will find a
place to post the 15' quad indexes to share them, perhaps MAGERT, WAML,
or somewhere -

Sincerely,
Chieko
--