From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:25:11 -0600
Subject:        FW: Map thefts at Western Washington University
Date:   Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:50:20 -0800
From:   Janet Collins <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>

Apologies for cross-posting

*From:  * Robert Lopresti
*Sent:  * Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:46 PM
*To:    *
*Subject:       * Map theft

The following message is going out today to email lists for map and
government information librarians.

I have some news about map thefts.  You may remember that in February
2006 Wilson Library at Western Washington University (NOT the Huxley
College Map Library, which is also at WWU) suffered  a serious theft.
We eventually determined that at least 648 pages were stolen from 102
volumes.  Seventy-five percent of them were maps.  All but two of the
books were from the Congressional Serial Set.

Since then, we have been working to identify the thief or thieves.  In
part due to our efforts and those of several people in the map librarian
community, on December 12 the Department of Homeland Security (ICE)and
Great Falls, Montana police executed a search warrant on the property of
James Brubaker, who sold maps, Indian artifacts, and other material on
ebay under the handle Montanasilver.  To the best of my knowledge,
Brubaker has not been arrested, however his ebay store has been closed
down and he is no longer a registered user there.  I have heard the
authorities confiscated thousands of plates and maps, hundreds of books,
and many Indian artifacts.  I expect we will be hearing more  in months
to come in the form of federal indictments.  When we get a photo of
Brubaker we will be glad to distribute it.

We hope that the Librarian and Rare Book and Map Dealer communities can
work together to determine processes and procedures to promptly
implement if (or sadly when) theft occurs again.

Rob Lopresti
Government Information Librarian, WL Liaison for Huxley College
Western Washington University