From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 2010 08:06:29 -0500
Subject:        Re: [Maps-L] Printing/Copying/Scanning Policies
Date:   Sat, 4 Sep 2010 08:02:32 -0700
From:   Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Hi, Salim -

I am not an attorney (I couldn't stand the memorization aspects of Law
School) but it strikes me that this falls with the "scholarship"
aspects of the DMCA.

If I were the professor, I'd probably just drop an email to the
company and ask for permission to copy at a reduced resolution to use
in my lectures.  I might go briefly into the number of students who
would be exposed to their product(s) by citing the "average" class
size and number of times per year I teach that particular content.
Usually, I find that sending an email from my University email does
the trick.

If the teacher knows the publisher's rep to the institution, sometimes
that person will go to bat and get a written/email permission.  I
usually give a Xerox copy of the permission to the place where I'm
copying the material and also keep a the original in my "Permissions"
file folder - which is getting pretty fat at this point,but then I'm
officially REtired, so the issue isn't likely to come up, but this is
a better safe than sorry situation!  ;~)