From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:25:13 -0500
Subject:        Re: Publication Dates for Denoyer-Geppert wall maps
Date:   Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:19:22 -0400
From:   David J. Bertuca <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

hi Kathy, and all;

We have been working through a pile of these (we were given a 'gift' from
the History Dept. of their wall maps). Dates are difficult with many of
these as they don't always indicate this. when they do, it is sometimes in
very tiny print (which a magnifying glass will reveal) if you are lucky.

Without edition and date info, we looked to see if other editions existed
in the world, and did some checking around through other editions we might
have.

If this does not work, you are left with 2 choices: 1. don't assign a date
2. give the date as a range of possibles.

The problem with this, is that you cannot necessarily go by the map's "date
of situation" to determine a date range to express (date of situation =
date that the map represents (e.g., a map showing Europe in 1914; the 1914
is the date of situation).

Sometimes you find data from the publisher giving product codes, or some
other data that might be useful in matching up records on OCLC, but
generally, a number of wall maps just don't provide anything to help.

Not the best description but basically it is about the best we can do.

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian
225 Capen Hall
University at Buffalo
Buffalo, NY 14260-1672

716-645-1332
716-645-3710 (fax)

--On Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:54 AM -0500 Maps-L Moderator