From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:09:02 -0500
2 replies below ...

Subject:        Re: Facility Use Fees
Date:   Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:01:37 -0400
From:   Frank Wihbey <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
CC:     Jaime Stoltenberg <[log in to unmask]>

Jaime:

The amount of time using our facilities doesn't' matter. If the person
is eligible for the facility or service and if we don't ordinarily
charge for the given facility or service, then there is no fee. Anything
else (temporary use of an office,
borrowing equipment, temporary "charge" account for photocopying, etc.)
is negotiated in a contract.
Conversely any service we don't offer to outsiders, especially the
initiation of interlibrary loans is not offered. (We refer them to their
company library or municipal library for that.)
We view them as potential allies and friends and send their company
names to our university development office, figuring the favor will come
back in a much larger proportion than through nickel-and-dime fees.
About copies of the final product... the important question is what his
final use will be. Assuming the material he's using is in the public
domain, then there should be no objection to at least asking for the
scan files. Sometimes our outside
researcher offer it on their own, to return the courtesy. On the other
hand we have people come in who are going to make a value-added product
out it. In that case they would be understandably reluctant to give you
their files. But then it would
be perfectly fine to ask them to acknowledge your library in the final
publication. Good publicity and good will.

Hope this helps,

F r a n k

Frank Wihbey
Head, Government Publications, Maps, GIS & Microforms Department
Tri-State Regional Document Depository
Canadian Federal Government Document Depository
GeoStats Spatial & Numeric Data Service
Raymond H. Fogler Library
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5729 USA