From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
LaVonne Jacobsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:52:17 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:31:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: LaVonne Jacobsen <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Save Time on Maps-L?
Sender: LaVonne Jacobsen <[log in to unmask]>

I think this is a thoughtful and practical suggestion - similar to the
management of needs and offers on Govdoc-L.  You have enough to do
as moderator, however.  I think most people would do their best to
comply and we might need an occasional reminder; it's ok if some
slip through.  That's life.  -LaVonne

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Johnnie Sutherland wrote:

> Maps-L Friends:
>
>      Your Moderator would like to ask the group what they think about
> the following request from a member of our group.  It has to do with
> jog announcements.  Below is the text of the request.
>
> -------message----------
> Hello -
>    Could you, as moderator, send out a message on maps-l asking folks to
> please, please put the 2-letter state abbreviation at the beginning of the
> subject for job announcements?   Example: NY Job Open: Map Cataloger
>    Many of us only want to see the ones for our region, and it would be
> very helpful to be able to see from the subject where the job is.
>    Also, if they would use the much shorter "Job Open" instead of "Job
> Announcement", you could see what kind of job it is - another way
> to know whether or not you really need to see that particular email.
>    Many thanks from just another overworked librarian
> -------end message---------
 >
>     I would like feedback from the group.  What would you all like?
> At present I forward to the list the job notices without changes.  I
> could ask people to format the subject line, but I would think there
> would always be a certain percentage of the messages that would never
> be formated correctly.  The quickest way for the information to flow
> would be for me, the Moderator, to do a quick re-write of the subject
> line where it was needed.  Do you as a group want the subject line
> for job notices to have a standard format?  Do you as a group want me
> to do that type of re-write?
>
> Johnnie Sutherland
> Moderator, Maps-L
>
> --- End Forwarded Message ---

   +   LaVonne Jacobsen                        [log in to unmask] +
   +   Soc Sci/Docs/Maps Librarian                (415)338-7053 +
   +   San Francisco State University Library                   +
   +   1630 Holloway Avenue                                     +
   +   San Francisco  CA  94132                                 +
--- End Forwarded Message ---