From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:39:44 -0400
Subject:        Latitutde/Longitude point
Date:   Thu, 15 Jul 2004 11:11:01 -0400
From:   Virginia Williams <[log in to unmask]>
To:     MAPS Discussion Group <[log in to unmask]>

I’m cataloging coal mine maps for a special project and I need some help
with some of the MARC tagging.  The project staff decided that the UTM
coordinate and its corresponding Latitude and Longitude coordinate needs
to be in the MARC record.  I’ve entered the UTM coordinate in the 342
tag.  Can I use a second 342 for the point’s longitude and latitude?  If
so, how?  I looked at the OCLC guidelines for this tag but couldn’t
figure out how to record this longitude and latitude information.  I
thought I could enter this information in the 255 tag. After looking at
the kind of information included in the 255, it didn’t make sense to me
to enter the coordinates for just one point on the map.  It seems to me
that a different type of coordinates, to give the borders of the map, is
recorded in this MARC tag.

The 342 will read:

342 02  Universal transverse Mercator $$p 17N4348491641488

What would you recommend I do to include the point’s coordinate ( N 39
degrees, 16 minutes 34 seconds, W 79 degrees 21 minutes 35 seconds) on
the MARC record?

Thank you for your help.

Virginia

Virginia R. Williams