From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:55:40 -0600
Subject: RE:  Brain Farts (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 14:05:39 -0600
From: Hadden, Robert L AGC <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

        Actually, the major cause of death is never noted by the police. The
major cause of death are mental farts, which include magical thinking,
rationalization, or passive action during calamity (it must be someone
else's
responsibility to save my life!). Or just plain stupidity. See the Darwin
Awards: The Darwin Awards honor Charles Darwin by commemorating those who
yield to natural selection and "remove" themselves from the gene
pool...thereby ensuring that the next generation is smarter by one. "Safety
Last!" Of necessity, the award is usually bestowed posthumously. See:
http://www.darwinawards.com/ for the 2010 nominations.
        My favorite example: In the Smokey Mountains of NC, a man once got
out of a car and poured honey over his five year old's hands, so he could
take a video of her having her hands licked by a friendly black bear. It
would be so cute.       Everything he knew about wildlife he got from Walt
Disney films or TV: animals understand your thoughts, so if you don't mean
any harm, they will remain tame and helpful; bears understand human speech,
communicate among each other, and are proficient in English; wild bears
never
bite people, especially children, because they have too much respect for
humans and other animals; all the animals who live in parks must be tamed,
right?; anticipating what you want from the future will make it come true;
wildlife photography is easy, because animals love having things pointed at
them, and they follow the photographer's directions well.

Lee Hadden

R. Lee Hadden, BA, BS, MLS
Geospatial Information Library (Map Library)
Army Geospatial Center
7701 Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA 22315
(703) 428-9206