Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1993 17:23:21 EDT
This is a request for response to a very quick and dirty survey.  I
will be happy to summarise any results for the list.

I am taking a one week intensive course in photographic archives at
Simmons College in Boston as part of an MLS program.  I would like to
find out more about photographic arhives with a mapping or earth
science focus in North America.  Specifically, I am interested in:

1. name, location, rough contents of archive.
2.  how are photographs aquired?  who uses them and how?
3.  how are they managed?  Catalogued piece by piece?  Any online
    access?  any preservation efforts?  how are they stored?  any
    exhibits or other creative displays?

If any of you manage or know of such collections, formal or informal,
I would like to hear about them.  As I mentioned, this class ends
Friday, so I am just looking for quick off the cuff response.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Karen Campbell
6l7 253-5679