From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary McInroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 15:35:27 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:10:41 -0500
From: Mary McInroy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: MAGERT booth in Atlanta---volunteers & maps of Atlanta
Sender: Mary McInroy <[log in to unmask]>

MAGERT will once again have a booth in the "professional" aisle of the
Exhibits Hall in Atlanta, i. e., the exhibit area with other ALA
sub-divisions and groups.  And once again, we need volunteers to staff the
booth, in (ideally, at least) two-hour time slots.

Hours for Exhibits are as follows:
         Saturday, June 15--9 AM-5 PM
             Sunday, June 16--9 AM-5 PM
             Monday, June 17--9 AM-5 PM
             Tuesday, June 18--9 AM-4 PM

VOLUNTEERS:
Working at the booth entails sitting there during your assigned exhibit
hours, chatting with people who stop by, encouraging folks to consider
joining MAGERT, and handing out MAGERT brochures and copies of the MAGERT
schedule.  I hope to have another give-away item at the booth
also.  Working the booth is a neat way to meet people with varying levels
of interest in maps (and unusual reasons for the interests, also).  Plus
you are insured of a place to sit in the Exhibit Hall, and since it's in an
area with other ALA groups, you will probably know some of your neighbors.
I will "put up" our booth on Friday, June 14, but will certainly accept
offers of assistance.   We have a triptych structure that goes on the back
of the table where we usually display maps of the conference locale.*  If
you are interested in helping me with this, e-mail and we can figure out a
time--should probably take 60-90 minutes.

Ideally, we would like the booth staffed at all times the exhibits are
open, but I realize that none of us can be in more than one place at
once.  If you could spare a two-hour stint at the booth during the
conference, please consider doing so.  If you want to commit to a specific
time slot, let me know--if you are free for a longer stretch, e. g., Sunday
and Monday from 11-3 and want me to pick your slot, I'll do that also and
let you know quickly.  From the looks of the MAGERT schedule,  MAGERT
events take place either in the convention center or a number of hotels of
varying proximity to the Convention Center--most not very far away.  Not
knowing Atlanta, I'm not sure how handy it will be to get from booth to
meeting, and vice versa.  But remember, by working at our booth, you <are>
assured of a place to sit in the exhibit hall and somewhere to tuck your
stuff away for a few hours.

*MAPS OF ATLANTA & THE AREA:
  MAGERT has a folding table-top display, where we hope to showcase some
maps of the Atlanta area.  If anyone in the Atlanta area has eye-catching
maps they would be willing to display, please e-mail me. Or if you have
suggestions on where to get some eye-catching ones, also let me know.

TAKE-DOWN of booth:
         This happens on Tuesday afternoon, at 4 or perhaps earlier.  This
takes even less time than set-up.  So if you are still around and wish to
help, please e-mail me.

Thanks so much.
Mary McInroy for the MAGERT Membership Committee

Mary McInroy
Government Publications Department
and Map Collection
University of Iowa Libraries