Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 14:14:58 EST
I have found the discussion on maps and librarians interesting, as
well. Electronic databases and publishing will continue to stir up
the traditional paper-based map, and more general, publishing
industry.  I love maps and on a rainy day in the some isolated
drainage in the appalachians I'd much rather have a paper map (resin-
coated to be sure) than a lap-top.  And some of the best maps are
truly works of art.  Seems to me, though, that while in the past one
map would have to serve a number of end users, it is possible for one
database to act as the source for a number of different maps all
aimed at different end-users.  Customization of product seems to be
possible at a previously unheard of level.  If the product is crap,
of course, people won't come back for a second helping.  But if it
meets their needs, they'll come back again and again.

The point that Mr. Keenan makes that has been glossed over, perhaps,
is the one about working two jobs at the same time.  Nothing wrong
with that as long as you don't charge money for what you do while on
the library's time, and you don't use the library's computer to draft
up maps that you then sell to some client.  I don't know if this
happens much.  To me, a map librarian would have to be awfully
dedicated to get into map production for some marketing scheme or
real estate development while all the other work that librarians have
to do piles up in some corner.  I have a basic distaste for the
idea of public entities competing with the private sector in
providing services.  (No, I don't want to turn the USGS over to
Hammond, either).  Am I being naive?  I am a lurker on this list and
neither a librarian nor a cartographer, though I appreciate the work
Tom Hanley, Department of Chemistry and Geology, Columbus
College, 4225 University Ave., Columbus, Georgia 31907-5645.
email: [log in to unmask]
phone: 706-568-2075 (secretary and answering machine).
       706-568-2074 (office)
FAX: 706-569-3133