From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2012 11:51:51 -0500
Subject:        Re: lost map of africa
Date:   Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:46:04 -0400
From:   Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

I suspect you do not have enough detail to allow identification. The
sort of coloring you describe (whether full or outline) were certainly
seen in any number of maps from the mid to late 17th century and onward.
See Betz's _The Mapping of Africa_ for numerous images. Another
example--unless I've misunderstood your description--would be this later
(ca. 1737) map by Haas and published the Homann family:
http://catalog.afriterra.org/viewMap.cmd?number=594 .

               Joel Kovarsky