From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:04:39 -0400
Subject: RE: scanning encapsulated maps
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 10:08:32 -0500
From: McEathron, Scott R <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Travis,

Yes, it is possible.  When I was at UIUC our procedure was to
encapsulate the maps before scanning if they had to be done on the large
format Truscan Titan II scanner from Vidar.  It was felt the maps would
be better protected as they were fed through the scanner.  The downside
is that you have to make sure the archival polyester film is very clean
before you start scanning.  Our students would use a can of pressurized
air to clean the film.  Also, they would have to use weights on the
scanner.  Anyway, I think UIUC has some good images of their maps on the
web.

Best wishes,

Scott R. McEathron
Map Librarian
T. R. Smith Map Collections
Anschutz Library -- University of Kansas
1301 Hoch Auditoria Drive
Lawrence, KS  66045-7537