From:
Allen Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:56:22 EST
Dr. Larson & any other interested parties,

>Is there any way to obtain a copy of an 1850 map by a Capt. Pleasonton
called
>"Map of the Country Between the Cascades & the Rocky Mountains"?  It
>supposedly shows some early trails that I would like to retrace.  Thanks

Allen,

If you come up with a source, would you consider posting it to the list for
the rest of us?

Thank you,
Paul R. Larson

Glad to share.  This is what I have found out so far:

This 1850 map together with an 1859 Bureau of Topographical Engineers "Map of
the State of Oregon and Washington Territory, which I hear contains even more
detail for my purposes,  can also be found in a book called "Maps of Early
Idaho (Corvallis, OR, Western Guide Publshers, 1972) , presumably out of
print

or

Contact the Library of Congress to see if they have copy.  If they do they
have repro. services at a cost so that you may get copy.

Lib. Of Congress phone # 202 707-6277

Or write Lib. of Congress
Geog. and Map Div.
Wash. DC  20540

John Shanton
US Geological Survey
Earth Science Info. Cntr.
Reston, Va.

I'll be happy to forward any further info I get, if any interest.

Allen Hall