From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2011 09:14:34 -0600
Subject:        FW: Earth Sciences & Map Library--flood update
Date:   Sat, 5 Feb 2011 16:42:41 -0700
From:   Kathryn Lage <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship

Hi all,

The Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library at CU Boulder has
extensive damage due to a burst pipe on Wednesday night. There is
extensive damage to the facilities, but damage to the collections was
not as bad as it could have been. We have 100-150 wet maps and about
1500 wet books. In addition, we estimate that we had to send about 120
books for extra conservation work. We have a rough total of 2300 books
displaced. We are especially grateful that the flood missed most of our
rare/valuable maps and aerial photos! We don’t think any of the
computers were damaged. The movable stacks are not working and the
carpet will need to be replaced.

Given the state of the collection and the broken stacks, the library
will be closed all next week and the following weekend. We’ll know more
as the week progresses about when we can begin to offer limited services
such as book paging. Re-opening to the public largely depends on the
functioning of the book stacks, the schedule for replacement of the
carpet, and any safety issues.

We had great help from our library’s emergency response team and all
earth sciences and map library staff and students. Thank you to all
maps-l members who have sent emails of good wishes and offers of help!

-Katie

Katie Lage

Map Librarian, Acting Faculty Director

Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library

184 UCB

University Libraries

University of Colorado

Boulder, CO 80309