From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:31:10 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:44:14 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Cataloging: 300 subfield c, map fragments (fwd)

Here's my understanding of this area of cataloguing.  300 subfield is to
be information encompassing the published format, or in manuscripts how
the item was composed by its author.  500 notes are to describe for
published material something that applies to the entire publishing run,
mainly to aid in use or identification of the item.  If you are describing
something that could to an individual copy it would go in a local note,
590.  I am less sure when it comes to unpublished or manuscript material
in the original, whether information requires a 590 or 500 note.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
Documents Dept.
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA
--- End Forwarded Message ---