From:
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:27:37 EDT
2 messages.-------------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 09:05:48 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Margaret Brill <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: acronyms

GODORT is the American Library Assocation (ALA) Government Documents
Round Table
CUAC is the Cartographic Users Advisory Council (reps. of the various map
librarians groups meet with the government about the depository program.)
MAGERT is the ALA Map and Geography Round Table
PUMS - Public User Microdata Sample (I think!) from the Census
DMA _ Defense Mapping Agency
TPCs - Tactical Pilotage Charts (1:500,000)
ONCs- Operational Navigation Charts (1:1.000,000)
The latter are both important map series from the DMA.
Also from DMA: JOGs - Joint Operations Graphics and DCW - Digital Chart
of the World (based on the ONCs)
GNIS - Geographic Names Server
Other acronyms for map organizations:
WAML - Western Assoc of Map Librarians
NACIS - North American Cartographic Information Society
SLA G & M  - Special Libraries Assoc. Geography and Map Div.

Does anyone have any others? THis would be perfect for a FAQ.
(Sorry about all this, but this is a map librarians' listserve!)
+++++

Tue, 3 Oct 1995, Allen Hall wrote:

> Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 17:14:04 EDT
> From: Allen Hall <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: acronyms

> GODORT,CUACMAGERT,PUMS,DMA,TPC'S.  Is there any kind of glossary to explain &
> identify these acronyms for newcomers?

* Margaret Brill                                                        *
* Public Documents and Maps         Phone: (919) 660-5850               *
* Perkins Library                   Internet:[log in to unmask]      *
* Duke University                      or   : [log in to unmask]     *
* Durham, NC  27708-0177                                                *

>Date:         Mon, 09 Oct 95 16:16:54 EDT
>From:         [log in to unmask]
>Subject:      Re: acronyms

CUAC is I believe the Cartographic Users Advisory Committee.

Sandy Peterson
Government Documents
Yale University