Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:49:40 -0500
Subject:        RE: Library school recommendations
Date:   Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:10:07 -0400
From:   Thompson, Thelma <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Susan,
You have received lots of good advice about choosing library schools.

I wanted to say a word about jobs and field work based on my own
experience.  For quite a few years I had a part-time 9-month position
that enabled me to do geological field work in the summers.  The library
portion of my work included maps, but was not primarily map-related, so
there were certainly both professional and financial compromises
involved.  My present full-time, 12-month position focuses on maps, but
leaves far less time for field work, entailing different compromises.
But it is possible that at some institutions you could negotiate
something that includes more release research time.

In addition to professional organizations for map librarians,
geographers and the like, you might wish to investigate the Geoscience
Information Society. www.geoinfo.org/  GSIS meets concurrently with the
Geological Society of America so is a good way to keep connected with
geology while also strengthening your professional library contacts.
They offer a free one-day introduction to geoscience librarianship
before the start of the actual conference.

I have been very happy with a career that combines geology, maps and
librarianship, and wish you the best.

Thelma Thompson

Thelma B. Thompson
Government Documents and Maps Librarian