From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:03:10 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:53:14 -0500
From: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Exhibit Catalog <fwd>
Sender: Nat Case <[log in to unmask]>

>Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:43:36 -0500
>From: "David A. Cobb" <[log in to unmask]>
>

>The current exhibit, 'Mapping Cities,' at the Boston University Art Gallery
>will close next week on Friday, February 25th. Anyone interested in this
>subject is encouraged to attend. An exhibit catalog featuring reproductions
>for the seven cities shown (Jerusalem, Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, London, New
>York, and Boston) is available for $20.00. Orders may be sent to: Boston
>University Art Gallery, 855 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215.
>
>David Cobb

-------

I just went yesterday, and it is an interesting show. Of course, I would
have loved to see about 5 times as much material per city, but it's an
intriguing sample.

The catalog is an thought-provoking collection of evaluations as well, and
the image reproductions are generally quite good, maybe a little dark here
and there. I recommend it for pretty much any map library out there.

What David hasn't said is that this began as a project for a curating
seminar at BU a couple years ago, and has been a community project, largely
student-produced. Given this, it's an especially impressive show.

In a way, I found it a yeastier presentation than the Boston Public Library
MAPPING BOSTON show I also visited yesterday (it is held over 'til May).
While this contains a fascinating assortment of maps, it doesn't really
pushes the boundaries between maps and other images, which the BU show does
try to do. I would, for example, have liked to see the Library show leavened
with some pictorial views of Boston. (Or, say, some Hedberg Maps products...
:-) )

If you're at the Boston Public Library for MAPPING BOSTON, it's worth
finding your way up to the rare book collection, which has a small companion
display of rare images from their collection, including several varieties of
maps superimposing Boston's original shoreline over a later shoreline... a
perennial image for a city that has so largely been created by fill.

Finally, if you're at the Public Library, take a look to the left of the
"new building" entrance on Boylston, at the city-sponsored "Boston i" kiosk.
This is a work-in-progress, for which we've been working on the mapping over
the last year, with the street-furniture company Decaux. At the moment, the
neighborhood maps are a bit of a mess, but the map for the area around the
library is in its final form.

Nat Case
Hedberg Maps, Inc.
--- End Forwarded Message ---