From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Virginia R. Hetrick
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:12:10 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:18:23 -0700
From: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE:  Freelance map production
Sender: "Virginia R. Hetrick" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi, Kathleen -

This doesn't seem like an unusual problem from what we faced while I was in graduate school before the invention of things like personal computers.

I earned a substantial amount of money making maps for other people's theses and dissertations while I was a graduate student and continued to do some freelancing after I was teaching just so's to have a little money coming in on the side.

While I was a student, the cart professors knew what I could do and would point people in my direction.  Also, after I had done several folks' dissertation maps, the word got around that I worked fairly inexpensively and produced work to the specifications that would make the beancounters/papercounters in the graduate school happy (*****NOT A MINOR CONSIDERATION******).

So, what you might want to do is contact the cart profs and find the names of some of their current graduate students who are interested in doing that sort of work plus any local folks who may not be graduate students and who the cart profs know who are capable of making maps of acceptable quality.

Obviously, once you have the list, it needs to have a huge disclaimer on it that these are names only and the user is on his/her own from that point onward.

HTH.

virginia
--- End Forwarded Message ---