From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:15:37 -0500
You are welcome to come to our presentation if you are around Princeton
area on November 17th.

Please find a general information about our GIS Day celebration below.

Thanks,
-Wangyal

GIS Day Celebration
Map Scanning Project Presentation

Come and celebrate GIS Day on November 17, 2004 in the Firestone
Library's Staff Conference Room (A-3-C). We will present our Map
Scanning Project. The presentation will start at 3:30 and end at 4:30pm.
There will be light refreshments after the presentation.

The presentation will explain how we converted our paper maps into
digital objects, what standards we used (resolution, metadata, and
compression ratio), how we designed our system architecture (using
ArcCatalog, ArcIMS, ArcSDE, Mapping Science?s GeoJP2 Image Server, and
Encoder and Decoder, Microsoft?s SQL Server database and Safe company?s
FME and SpatialDirect) and workflow, and how our patrons can search and
view these wonderful maps, aerial photographs, GIS data online from
their desktops at any time.

The Princeton University Library has organized GIS Day presentations
since 1999. For the last five years we have celebrated GIS Day by
sharing the GIS projects done by our students. This year will be
celebrating the day by presenting our map scanning project.

The last five years' GIS Day celebration talks were:

1999: Talk by Richard M. Allen, Geosciences graduate student, Does the
United States need more natural disasters?

2000: Talk by Dr. Kristina Rothley, Post-Doctoral Fellow in the
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, The influence of the
spatial patterning of resources on the nest site selection and
reproductive success of the Northern Harrier.

2001: Talk by Michael Tantala, Civil and Environmental Engineering
graduate student, Earthquake loss estimate research for the New York
City Area and its applications to the World Trade Center response efforts.

2002: Talk by Dr. Marcia Castro, Post-Doctoral Fellow at OPR, Malaria
Transmission in the Brazilian Amazon. Improving Public Health Studies
Through the use of GIS, spatial analysis, and remote sensing.

2003: We had three speakers;
1. GIS in Hydrology and Hydrometeorology. Katherine Meierdiercks,
Graduate student, Civil and Environmental Engineering.
2. Using Land Cover Data to Study the Ecology of Bee Communities in New
Jersey - Rachael Winfree, Postdoctoral Fellow,    Princeton Council on
Science and Technology, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
3. Urban Expansion in Tegucigalpa, Honduras"- Micah Perlin, Graduate
student, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Tsering Wangyal Shawa
Geographic Information Systems Librarian
Head, Digital Map and Geospatial Information Center
Geosciences and Map Library
Fine Hall B Level, Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-6804
Fax: (609) 258-4607
www.princeton.edu/~geolib/gis

Tsering W Shawa ([log in to unmask]),Tsering W Shawa