From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:03:37 -0600
---- Forwarded message from Matt Fox <[log in to unmask]> -----
    Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 02:04:17 -0800
    From: Matt Fox <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: Re: Over 1,000 Historical Topographic Maps for Google Earth
      To: MAPS-L@

I just finished another huge update to this topographic map
collection.  I added approximately 900 15-minute historic USGS
Topographic Maps covering almost the entire states of Connecticut,
Delaware, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey,
New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont.  Most of the maps
are dated between 1890 and 1910.

There is a long history to these maps and how they ended up on my
server and the role I played is but a very small one. My understanding
of the story is that several years ago Christopher Marshall took a
laptop and a scanner to various libraries and created the original
scans, which consisted of 4 scans for the four corners of each map
(JPGs from the original scans can be downloaded from
http://historical.maptech.com/ and
http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm). The next chapter to the
story occurred a few years ago when Richard Utter took about 900 of
the maps, stitched together the four pieces of each map and
georeferenced them. Then finally, last week I received an email from
Russell Nelson saying that he had all of Richard's georeferenced maps
on a couple DVDs and that he would be happy to send them to me. Now
here we are a few days later and I have converted all of them to
Google Earth SuperOverlays and uploaded them to my server. So I would
like to personally thank Christopher, Richard and Russell for their
contributions in making this possible.

By the way, for anyone thinking about ways to display this kind of map
data, it only took me a few hours to process all 900 of the GEOTiffs
into Google Earth SuperOverlays and then a few more hours to create
the index, fancy KML code, etc.

Simply open this small network link file with Google Earth.

http://www.gelib.com/maps/Topos/Topos_nl.kml

More information on this latest edition to this collection here:
http://www.gelib.com/new-england-topographic-maps.htm

Matt Fox

----- End forwarded message -----