Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:11:58 -0500
Subject:        [Fwd: Re: MAPS-L Digest - 17 Apr 2007 to 20 Apr 2007 (#2007-62)]
Date:   Sat, 21 Apr 2007 10:38:11 -0400
From:   Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Having been involved in this on the student side, and since my degree is
being completed via distance education, I would agree that these
policies may need to be formulated on an individual institutional basis
as one moves along. I am also aware of other (map) library volunteers
who are not in a degree program, some of whom have long established
connections with individual libraries.  With respect to documentation
for students, there are a number of ways to format the process. UTK's
School of Information Sciences has a fully developed set of forms it
uses for practicum experiences for students. These involve the initial
proposal and approval, supervisor midterm and end-term evaluations, and
a final written evaluation by the student. In this case, these are
pass/fail classes only. I would also assert that some degree of
independence needs to be fostered. RBMS has some general security
guidelines, which may variably fit the needs of individual institutions:
http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlstandards/securityrarebooks.htm . One of
the statements therein:

  "An atmosphere of trust and concern for the collections is probably
  the best guarantee against theft by staff. Nevertheless, close and
  equitable supervision is essential. The staff, including students
  and volunteers, should be chosen carefully, using any avenues
  available in making the decision for hiring. Careful personnel
  management is an ongoing necessity. A weak point in maintaining a
  security system is disgruntled staff who may seek retribution
  through theft, destruction, or willful mishandling of collections."

Many are already aware of these. The National Library of Australia
actually posts some of their volunteer policy development considerations
online (http://www.nla.gov.au/volun/policy.html), and I have run across
a number of others.

              Joel Kovarsky

--
Joel Kovarsky
The Prime Meridian: Antique Maps & Books