From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2008 11:09:19 -0600
Please share answers with the list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        somalia nautical charts & piracy
Date:   Fri, 5 Dec 2008 11:58:56 -0500
From:   [log in to unmask]
To:     [log in to unmask]

I have asked local chart dealers here in New York, who sell charts from
around the world, about recent charts showing the protected safety lanes
off Somalia, where shipping may theoretically! pass without danger from
pirates. No luck.

Is anyone aware of such charts being available? In one of the many news
articles about this story in the NY Times or Washington Post,  such charts
were described very briefly and vaguely. [Naturally I pitched the paper
without thinking to save the info...]

I suspect the source might be the British Admiralty, but am not sure, and
it could be they are not paper but electronic charts.

Just curious...as I would like to obtain an example of same for our map
collections.

Alice C. Hudson
Chief, The Lionel Pincus & Princess Firyal Map Division
The Humanities and Social Sciences Library
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue & 42nd Street, Room 117
New York, NY 10018-2788

[log in to unmask], 212-930-0589, fax 212-930-0027

Hours: 1-7:30 Tu & Wed, 1-6 Thurs-Sat.    Closed Sun, Mon.

http://nypl.org/research/chss/map/map.html