From:
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 16:24:41 -0400
Subject: Fwd: U.S. Geological Survey Issues a Request for Information
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 15:14:25 -0400
From: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

Colleagues -

An interesting development that may bear watching?

David Cobb

>The Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) distribution
>facility in Lakewood, Colorado currently disseminates USGS and other
>Federal agency scientific information products (maps, books, reports, and
>other publications).  These products are disseminated in hardcopy, CD-ROM,
>DVD, and print-on-demand formats through our network of authorized USGS
>Business Partners as well as through walk-up and mail delivery mechanisms.
>We would like to take this opportunity to notify you of our intent to issue
>a Request for Information (RFI) for feedback concerning meeting and
>improving delivery of our information to the public.  This request for
>information is to engage the public and private sector in providing
>innovative ideas for the way our information is disseminated.
>
>We are interested in identifying organizations capable of warehousing and
>delivering USGS and other Federal agency information products and managing
>an inventory currently consisting of more than 89,000 titles?or
>approximately 30 million units.  The USGS is also interested in determining
>if there is public or private sector interest in the hardcopy distribution
>function as the USGS migrates to an emphasis on an electronic warehouse
>distribution system.
>
>To better understand the wide range of innovative solutions and
>opportunities that are available, the USGS will be issuing this RFI.  The
>request will be available on FedBizOpps.gov, by April 30, 2004.  This is
>the single point-of-entry for Federal government procurement, and
>Government buyers are able to publicize their business opportunities by
>posting directly to FedBizOpps via the Internet.  Commercial vendors
>seeking Federal markets for their products and services can search, monitor
>and retrieve solicitations by the entire Federal contracting community at
>the following website:  http://www.fedbizopps.gov
>

>Ronald Lofton
>Assistant Branch Chief, Information Services
>U. S. Geological Survey

David A. Cobb                                   Tel. 617.495.2417
Harvard Map Collection                          FAX  617.496.0440
Harvard College Library                         Email: [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA 02138                             HTTP://hcl.harvard.edu/maps