From:
"A. Cope" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:52:10 -0500
Subject:        New server and map index
Date:   Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:39:27 -0400
From:   Dave Broer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

I am pleased to make my fellow list members aware of the fact that we
have moved our online map collection to a new server that will allow us
more capacity and bandwidth.  We have approximately 1,300 maps online
and are planning to add many more and so we needed some additional
breathing room to accommodate the growth and users.  You can browse and
search our collection at it's new home here:

http://www.broermapsonline.org/members/

I am also pleased to announce a new service that we have been working
on.  We have indexed many of the largest collections of online digital
historic maps and have created a search engine to help users find online
historic maps.  Unlike other search engines which combine modern maps
with historic maps or which index map catalogs, our search engine
focuses on historic maps that users can view online.  We have links to
over 50,000 online historic maps so you should be able to find what you
are looking for.  There are some collections that because of their
design we could not index,  but we tried our best.  I've included a list
on the site of the major collections that we indexed and if anyone knows
of other collections that we have not included, please let me know.  I
know new ones are always coming online.  Remember that this index is for
historic maps only.  You can try out the search engine here:

http://www.broermapsonline.org/members/mapindex/

We are still tweaking everything, but this should give you an idea of
what we are working towards.

Thanks,

Dave Broer
Broer Map Library