From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:11:52 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:28:03 -0400
From: Elaine Hallisey Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: MM: Mapping on truly small and large scales (fwd)

Hello,

> ...This must be the smallest-scale niche in cartography. What is the largest?
> Can cartographic or GIS tools and methods be used on the other end of the
> scale spectrum? Mapping bacterial growth in a culture would be pretty
> large
> scale, but how about mapping in truly microscopic realms?

One example of "mapping" bacterial growth at the colony level is being done at Kennesaw State University in Georgia using software and hardware developed by Apogee Systems.
(http://www.mindspring.com/~apogeesy/colony.htm)  In simple terms, the colonies are scanned and then, using image processing techniques, the software searches the image, counts the number of
colonies, measures their size, location, grayscale, color and shape, and generates reports of these measurements.  I guess, in a way, it's like remote sensing....

--
Elaine Hallisey Hendrix
GIS Research Coordinator