From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 16:13:36 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 15:17:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: storage for oversized maps
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>

Hello, all.

I am trying to find a solution to a problem with one of my map
collections.  This collection is the A.W. Kuchler collection of vegetation
maps.  Most maps of the collection are housed in traditional map cases
with 50 x 38-inch drawers.  For this majority of maps, these cases are
adequate.  Some of the maps of the collection, however, exceed the
dimensions of the drawers, either in width or length, or both.

The maps are encasulated in Mylar, so that folding them to fit into the
drawers is not possible.  It would be difficult to fold them adequately to
fit, as the fold would be loose, and often higher than the two inches of
drawer height would allow.  In addition, this would involve six layers
rather than the usual two!

A possibility I have begun to consider would involve a system of suspended
frames, to store them as one might a collection of art works that are not
on display.  Unfortunately, I do not know of vendors or manufacturers of
such equipment.  I have sent a query to our art museum curator of
collections.  However, any information any colleagues on the listserv can
offer would be helpful, as well.

With best regards,

Ken
Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA
--- End Forwarded Message ---