From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2009 09:15:01 -0600
Subject:        Re: Map images through an online catalog
Date:   Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:13:46 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Hi Bob!

Here at PSU, which is a Sirsi institution, we have done a handful of
projects linking a bib. record to a map image, particularly for our
Earth & Mineral Sciences Library's map collection. On other occasions
we are scanning map images and putting them up on our website under
digital collections, but creating metadata for each image and not
linking directly from records in the OPAC. Still, on other occasions
we create a bib. record for a specific website with groups of maps,
or a single map or atlas. So, we haven't standardized things yet
here, and I think that is due more to the question of whether or not
to do everything one way, and whether that way is through bib.
records in the OPAC. Personally, I see sharing information about
digital cart. materials being done in different manners as being a
good thing because underlying the decisions are differing needs and
purposed for the images involved.

Paige