From:
Date:
Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:54:04 -0500
Subject: Re: geospatial data in institutional repositories?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:46:59 -0700
From: Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

> I've had a few graduate students express interest in contributing their
> data.  The problem has always been the lack of metadata.  I've offered
> everything... I would help them create the metadata, or just send me
> what you know or tell me over the phone, and I'll make the metadata.
>    But once the students see the end of the tunnel (ie: finishing their
> work and moving on), contributing their data is a low priority.
>    Granted, I haven't been begging, given the extra surge of work that
> could come, but I do occasionally hint to students and faculty that they
> should do this.  So far, the grant requirements seem to be still too new
> to have brought any geospatial content our way.

I'll totally ditto this for both my experience at University of Oregon
(where I got 2 or 3 CD-ROMs in 5 years) and here at UC Surf Board (where
I got 2 sets of shapefiles from the advanced GIS class of 35 students
last year.  No grad data yet, but we have years and years of uncataloged
faculty data.  How much, nobody knows.).

--
Jon Jablonski
Map & Imagery Laboratory