From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 13:11:53 -0400
NOTE:  This message is being cross-posted.  Please excuse
duplication.  Also, if you know people who would be interested in and would
benefit from either of our two programs, please forward the program
information to them.

As Chair of the Membership Committee of MAGERT (Map and Geography Round
Table), I would like to invite those planning to attend ALA in Chicago to
attend any and all MAGERT events during the conference.

MAGERT PROGRAMMING at ALA Annual conference.

If patrons have asked you questions you could not answer re. electronic
geo-spatial data ("Does it exist for Ghana?" "Where can I find old boundary
data?" "Must I buy information for my home county or can I get it free
somewhere?"), our Saturday program is for you.

And for those of you who work in libraries where the map holdings are
relatively inaccessible via the catalog, and/or where little or no
cataloging of maps occurs, Monday's program on alternatives to full
MARC--AACRII cataloging for maps should interest you.  Time will be allowed
for questions and for sharing of your own ideas and methods of coping with
this all-too-common situation.

DETAILS & DATES & TIMES for PROGRAMS:

SATURDAY, JULY 8 -------2:00-4:00 p.m.   -SHER-Superior A
Program I:  "The Acquisition of Electronic Geo-Spatial Data"    (sponsored
by MAGERT Geotech Committee)
         Spatial data in electronic form is being produced and issued by
the U.S. Government, state and local government agencies, foreign
governments, international organizations, and commercial vendors, and in
ever increasing quantities and varieties. Hear panelists discuss how map
and geography librarians can come to grips with this material and obtain
the best and most relevant of it for their institutions.
Speakers and their topics:   Karl Longstreth, Head Map Library and Director
of China Data Center, International Institute, University of Michigan,
"Searching the World for International Data; New Directions in Cooperative
Projects.";   John H. Long, Editor, Atlas of Historical County Boundaries,
Newberry Library, "The Atlas of Historical County Boundaries and
GIS.";  Michael Furlough, Associate Director of the Geospatial and
Statistical Data Center, University of Virginia, "Hunting for Data:
Developing Relationships with State and Local Agencies.";  Melissa Lamont,
Head, Data Library and Archives, Woods Hole Oceanographic
Institution,  "Free and Federal Data."

MONDAY, JULY 10----------2:00-4:00 p.m.    -SHER-Huron
Program II:  "Finding the Way:  Access to Cartographic
Collections"  (sponsored by MAGERT Cataloging & Classification Committee)
         Map collections are often not included in the catalog that covers
the rest of the collections. How do you provide access to the maps and
other cartographic resources without full MARC cataloging? Come and hear
three possible approaches and get your questions answered.
Speakers and their topics: David Y. Allen, head, Map Collection, SUNY Stony
Brook, "The Dublin Core and its application to non-MARC cataloging for
maps"; Scott McEathron, map catalog libn., liaison to Natural Resources,
Univ. of CT, "GEODEX (Geographic Index System for Map Series)"; Joseph M.
Winkler, coord., Research Collections, St. Louis Pub. Lib., "MapFind, a
home-grown stand-alone database for maps."

The full MAGERT schedule (meetings, discussions groups, etc.) can be found
at: http://www.sunysb.edu/libmap/magprogs.htm.

Thank you.  Mary McInroy, MAGERT Membership Chair

Mary McInroy
Government Publications Department
and Map Collection
University of Iowa Libraries