From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:53:24 -0400
Subject: University of Florida and Hurricanes
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:41:01 -0400
From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: MAPS-L (E-mail) <[log in to unmask]>

This is a group response to the many emails inquiring about how our Library
fared in the hurricanes.  Please excuse me for using this venue to respond
but I returned to work to find an overwhelming number of emails to which it
would be very difficult to respond to individually.

First thank you for all for your emails and good wishes.  They were greatly
appreciated.  Now to answer your questions:

First Hurricane Charley passed a little south of us.  It was predicted to
come ashore with our city in a direct path but we were spared when the
Hurricane made a sharp right turn.  The winds were only slightly elevated
with limited tree damage.  We had several days of torrential rain but only a
few leaky ceiling tiles.  Unfortunately the numerous retirement homes in SW
Florida and the Orlando Area received vast damage.  Some areas and schools
are still not opened.

Next Hurricane Frances past over us with days and days of continual tropical
rain.  Even though we are 60 miles from the coast we had Tropical Storm
winds of 65 miles and gusts of Hurricane force.  The University of Florida
Libraries were spared all but some water damage to ceilings etc and none of
the collection was affected.  There were trees down all over campus.
Unfortunately the same can not be said for the staff.  Almost every staff
member has wind and/or water damage: downed trees, home damage, no power,
flooding, sewer backup, etc.  Gainesville, the home of the University of
Florida is designated as a "Tree City USA".  We have extensive old oak
trees, pines and flowering trees----but not nearly as many as there used to
be!  Practically every neighborhood had downed trees and powerlines.  It
took a week for many librarians to get power back and this was during the
rain and 90 degree weather.  Soon after the winds passed the TV weather
networks started reporting on other areas and ignoring how much damage there
was to Northeast Florida.  Extensive flooding of areas already soaked and
people homeless or without power is not very glamorous.  We have had only
partial days for the water to recede and now we are facing strong rains from
the Hurricane Ivan feeder bands.  If we are lucky the storm will go west of
us, but that means an awful time for people around the Gulf of Mexico.
However, the rivers are just now cresting and numerous roads are still
impassible so more floods are on the way.

On a personal note, I have been able to return home now that the downed
trees have been removed, septic water removed from the house and I can again
run water in the house.  Those of you who know Jimmie Lundgren, the Head of
the UF SoScience/Science Cataloging Units will be glad to hear her house
finally got power yesterday--11 days after it went out.

While this has been an uncomfortable and frightening time, we were extremely
fortunate when you remember the enormous damage in southwestern Florida and
what recently happen in the Caribbean because of Ivan.  Normally we would
not even have mentioned our troubles given these tragedies, but we did want
to let the people know who were kind enough to ask after us.  Thank you
again for your concern.  Now lets all hope and pray for those people in
Hurricane Ivan's path.

Sincerely Helen

HelenJane Armstrong, PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library