From:
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1993 15:18:38 EDT
This message is from Carlos Hagen at UCLA.-------------Johnnie

         Mon, 03 May 93 07:17 PDT
         "Carlos B. Hagen-L"                  <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: 1:50,000 map of Fasa, Iran

Beginning in the 1950's, the DMA in cooperation with the Imperial Iranian Army
began a project to map the entire area of Iran at 1:50,000, and by the overthro
w of the Shah virtually the entire country was covered.  However, the Iranians
are extremely security conscious and this series could be accessed only by high
ranking officers of the US or the Iranian army, and any other distribution (e.g
. oil concerns had to have approval of both agencies.  The Iranians refused
permission even for the DMA to distribute the world series at 1:250,000 coverin
g their territory, in the familiar Depository Program to American colleges and
universities.  The only way to have access to sheets of this series (K 753) is
through some high-ranking US Army Officer or maybe a sheet covering that area
has ended up in the hands of some private individuals who had access to them
during the Shah period; persons who, instead of destroying them as they were
supposed to do, eventually donated them to some map library.  The Iranian Army,
of course, has these maps, but who knows what kind of restrictions they impose
on their citizens.  Carlos B. Hagen-Lautrup, UCLA Bruman Map Library.