Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:10:41 -0600
Subject:        Plotting child care center locations on maps - User friendly
GIS software solution?
Date:   Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:53:26 -0500
From:   March, Gregory H <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hello,

I have a patron that needs help with choosing GIS software for a project
she is involved with. The learning curve for ArcGIS software
applications is big, and I wanted to know if there is an easier solution
to addressing her project needs.  I thought this would be the best way
to go about finding answers to this question.  The message follows below:

I need some advice. I work in publications for the College of Social
Work. We have a client for whom we want to publish a report that will
include some sets of maps. We will have a database of information on
child care centers. Those databases will contain addresses for each of
the locations. We would like to sort those databases and according to
certain criteria place markers on maps that show the locations of the
centers. I assume that if I would get the right software, this task
could be fairly simple. But. . . . what is the right software?

Please reply off list.

Thank you,

Greg

Gregory March
Assistant Professor and Map/GIS Librarian
University of Tennessee
15A Hoskins Library
Knoxville, TN 37996
(865) 974-3878 voice