From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:04:54 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 10:32:44 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: usgs topo dates <fwd>

After querying Maps-L a couple of months ago regarding the dates
that USGS uses in their lists of topo maps by state, I got some
explanations from USGS folks in Rolla and Reston regarding this
topic. Suffice it to say that many people had worked on these
lists over time and that the dates needed for one purpose are
different than the dates needed for other purposes (the date
often representing when the area was last "photoinspected" as
opposed to when the map itself was "photorevised"). They were
very aware that the dates published in the lists of available
maps were misleading to vendors and users.

Below is a follow-up message I received regarding their plans to
clarify these dates.  It really marks a big step forward.  I
hope the people at the Survey all realize that we really
appreciate the work they do and their dedication.

Mark Thomas / Public Documents & Maps / Perkins Library
   Duke University / Durham, NC  27708-0177
      [log in to unmask] / voice: 919-660-5853 / FAX: 919-684-2855
The train ...
        traditional, yet environmentally sound.  --Lisa Simpson