From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:54:27 -0500
2 replies from Amy below ...
-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Map cataloging question--which format?
Date:   Wed, 12 Mar 2008 10:20:22 -0400
From:   Amy Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]

Dear Mr. Stone,

I have not yet found any citations that may directly give explicit
instructions. In the Cartographic Materials Manual, however, there is
the following from, 11.Facsimiles, Photocopies, and Other Reproductions:
"Do not treat electronic cartographic resources, i.e., raster images
created by scanning, as facsimiles."

In the Map Cataloging manual a similar statement is made but without
reference to which items are not treated as facsimiles: "Some types of
cartographic items are, however, excluded from treatment as facsimiles"
(From chapter 8)

The Library of Congress catalogs the "real" (physical item in printed
form) cartographic material and then after subsequent digitization of
the original adds a second 007 field - which is repeatable, thus the
option of having two different formats one record is possible. LC also
adds the 856 link to the raster image; along with its corresponding 530
note(i.e., Additional Physical Form Available Note) : "Available also
through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster image" See:
OCLC#5569430. At Harvard Map Collection, we follow the same procedures
see OCLC#60708332 - that is, adding multiple 007s to the "original"
item, adding a 530 note and the URN in a 856.

I hope this helps. Maybe other catalogers will have more facility with
the rules/rule interpretations to add to what I've pointed out above? By
the way, in the event you don't have OCLC, I will paste the above
mentioned bibliographic records below.

Bests,
Amy Phillips

007 a ǂb j ǂd a ǂe a ǂf n ǂg z ǂh n
007 c ǂb r
010 gm 71005484
040 DLC ǂc DLC ǂd OCLCQ
043 n-us-ma
05000G3764.B6S3 1775 ǂb .A5
052 3764 ǂb B6
072 7S3 ǂ2 lcg
090 ǂb
049 HLSS
1001 Almon, John, ǂd 1737-1805.
24510Map of the environs of Boston. ǂc Drawn at Boston in June, 1775.
260 London, ǂb J. Almon, ǂc 1775.
300 map ǂc 19 x 26 cm.
507 Scale ca. 1:46,000.
500 Relief shown pictorially and by hachures.
500 From The Remembrancer, 3d ed. 1775.
500 Shows camp and lines of Generals Putnam, Ward, and Thomas and
batteries and fortifications in the Boston area.
530 Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as a raster
image.
5104 LC Maps of North America, 1750-1789, ǂc 896
651 0Boston (Mass.) ǂx History ǂy Siege, 1775-1776 ǂv Maps ǂv Early
works to 1800.
651 0Boston Region (Mass.) ǂv Maps ǂv Early works to 1800.
651 0Boston Region (Mass.) ǂx Defenses ǂv Maps ǂv Early works to 1800.
752 United States ǂb Massachusetts ǂc Boston Region.
752 United States ǂb Massachusetts ǂd Boston.
85641ǂd g3764b ǂf ar089600 ǂu http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3764b.ar089600
ǂq c

007 a ǂb j ǂd a ǂe a ǂf n ǂg z ǂh n
007 c ǂb r ǂd b ǂe n ǂj a ǂl a
007 c ǂb r ǂd b ǂe n ǂj a ǂl p
040 HLS ǂc HLS ǂd HLS
0340 a
052 4042 ǂb M5
090 ǂb
049 HLSS
1001 Collot, Georges-Henri-Victor, ǂd 1750-1805.
24510Map of the course of the Mississipi [sic.] from the Missouri and
the country of the Illinios to the mouth of this river.
2463 Map of the course of the Mississippi from the Missouri and the
country of the Illinois to the mouth of this river
255 Scale not given.
260 [Paris : ǂb A. Bertrand, ǂc 1826]
300 1 map ; ǂc 89 x 23 cm.
500 Relief shown by hachures.
500 Journey undertaken in 1796; engraved in 1805, but not published
until 1826.
500 "Gravé par Tardieu, l'ainé."
500 Appears in: Collot's A journey in North America : containing a
survey of the countries watered by the Mississippi, Ohio, Missouri, and
other affluing rivers. 1826. Pl. 25.
530 Available also as a digital image through the Harvard University
Library Web site.
500 Includes notes.
651 0Mississippi River ǂv Maps.
7001 Bertrand, Arthus, ǂd fl. 1800-1857.
7001 Tardieu, P. F. ǂq (Pierre François), ǂd 1757-1822.
7001 Collot, Georges-Henri-Victor, ǂd 1750-1805. ǂt Journey in North
America.
85641ǂz Harvard Map Collection copy image (with manuscript version) ǂz
http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:FHCL:595192?buttons=y