From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:33:05 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:21:45 +0000
From: Terry <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Part-Time Librarian?
Sender: Terry <[log in to unmask]>

I would like to conduct a quick straw poll if I may. Please reply to me
directly unless you feel the question needs further airing.

Firstly the reason for this query.
I am a one man operated map library and teaching & learning resource centre,
open 9.00 - 12.30 & 13.30 - 16.30 five days a week. My Head of School
insists that my position as Map Curator is only a half time position and
that I need several other tasks in order to keep my technical grade of E
(18000 UK pounds pa) (I was formerly a full time cartographer). Those extra
tasks are Cartography (one day a week) School webmaster, 3 vehicle fleet
manager and vehicle/coach hires, survey equipment loans, mobile phone loans,
Macintosh Local Area Network management, book orders.   I am concerned that
no library tasks are being carried out except for the day to day issue of
maps and student references/dissertations, and that the "other" tasks are
precluding cataloguing, ordering and general maintenance of the 60000+ maps
and 5000 books/atlases in the library. We have several old cataloging
systems which need updating as they haven't been touched in the last five
years and are mainly card indexes. Without an up to date catalogue and a new
issue system I have no idea what we hold, what we should hold and what has
disappeared. I need some guidance from other institutions before I either go
in with all guns blazing or I shutup and crawl back into my shell.

Questions?
1) Is there anyone in a similar position, and if so, what else are they
expected to do?
2) Am I being unreasonable in suggesting that I am being overloaded?
3) Am I being overpaid as a map librarian & therefore expect 50% more work?
4) Are there any other map libraries of similar size and if so how many
people operate them?
5) Any suggestions or an other comments

thank you for your indulgence
Terry

Terry Bacon
Map Curator & Cartographer
The Rodney Fry Map Library                                         Tel
44(0)1392 263361
School of Geography & Archaeology
University of Exeter                                               Fax
44(0)1392 263342
Exeter, Devon, UK, EX4 4RJ

                         http://www.ex.ac.uk/geography
--- End Forwarded Message ---