From:
"Edward M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 23:39:17 EST
Don,

Order FIPS 10-4, Countries, Dependencies, Areas of Special Sovereignty,
and their Principal Administrative Divisions, from the National
Technical Information Service (name may be changed), US Dept of Commerce,
Springfield, VA 22161. (Phone 703-487-4650)

A word of caution, these codes are not all the same as the similar ANSI codes
(FIPS 104-1) or the ISO codes (ISO 3166).  Not only do some codes difer,
but the definition of the entity can be different as well.

Have fun with NTIS.  I'm still waiting for my copy of 10-4; FIPS 10-3
was recently replaced by it.  (FIPS 10-4 is a full update incorporating
all amendments to 10-3)

Good luck,

Ed Taylor
GEOname Digital Gazetteer, GDE Systems, Inc.
Home Page: http://www.gdesystems.com
GEOname Page: http://www.gdesystems.com/IIS/SlipSheets/GEONAME.html