From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:21:47 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: RE: MAPS-L: coal mine names for coal mine maps
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005
From: "Doug Behm" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "'Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum'"

I don't have a strategy but what you have described is very common. There
can be ww coal mine 3 and mine 4, etc. In the old days, they used to, in
some cases, refer to each portal as a separate mine. So you could walk down
the outcrop where the entries were and each would be numbered. I have often
heard the phase "working in the mines" which, I think, is where the phase
comes from, multiple entries on the same seam.

For suggestions, I refer you to Geological Survey of Alabama's circular 130
- Directory of Underground Coal Mines in Alabama. They categorized by
company, s-t-r, county, mine, coal bed and reference date. I see a listing
for a Sibley mining, dated 1958, 59, 62, 63 with 15 different mines such as
Caserock 1, Caserock 2, Caserock 95 and a Caserock 14 1/2.

Good luck on an interesting project.

Douglas D.Behm          [log in to unmask]
University Geologist
Office of Land Management
University of Alabama