From:
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:25:07 -0500
Subject:        Re: Circulating paper topos and damage policies
Date:   Thu, 27 Oct 2011 15:24:49 -0700
From:   Carlos Diaz <[log in to unmask]>
To:     MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Wow, seems like your maps collection is getting a lot of usage.
Due to rain or wind here in the Pacific northwest, most maps collections
give patrons a map tube to carry the maps they checkout, that would
prevent folding of maps...hopefully. Now, I did have patrons checking
out nautical charts and it coming back a little for the wear. If they
are beyond help, I usually sent out a needs and offers request for a
replacement and usually I would get a replacement.
For topographic maps, usually a patron would have to pay like $ 40.00 or
so, but they would come to me and I would ask them to buy me a
replacement from the USGS Maps Locator website. Pre-USTopo maps cost $
8.00 and USTopo maps cost $ 15.00 per sheet. That is a lot cheaper than
the fine they would have to pay.
I never thought about a handout, seems like a good idea. Would be
interesting to see if it has an effect.

,-~~-.___.

/ | ' \ "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of

( ) 0 the few or the one."

\_/-, ,----'

==== // Mr. Spock

/ \-'~; /~~~(O) Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

/ __/~| / |

=( _____| (_________|

Carlos A. Diaz

Government Publications, Maps, and Microforms

James E. Brooks Library

Central Washington University

Mailstop 7548

Ellensburg, WA 98926

http://www.lib.cwu.edu/government-publications/

Carlos' phone: (509) 963-1545

  >>> "Angie Cope, American Geographical Society Library, UW Milwaukee"
<[log in to unmask]> 10/27/2011 1:29 PM >>>